Silk Screen, Asian Arts organization is a 501c3 non-profit whose mission is to promote cross-cultural education of the Asian Arts through entertainment: film, music and dance performances.
The main event of Silk Screen is a 10 day Asian and Asian American film festival. The next festival will be May 2013. Silk Screen also presents year- round programming in the areas of music, dance and cultural events.
NOTE: If interns are taken on for the Spring Season, they are expected to be available throughout the entire 10 day festival in May. Heavy concentration of duties will be April and May with some weekend time and evening hours likely. Summer hours for festival follow-up are flexible.
**The Programming intern for the Summer Season will also be involved in programming for Silk Scream: Asian American Horror Film Festival held in October.
Programming (films): dedicated to tasks that help Silk Screen research, rate, track and eventually coordinate bringing the films to Pittsburgh. The number one priority is film programming selections.
Film Selection/ Tracking: This portion of the job would be most intense October through end of March.
- Set up and help keep the spreadsheet of the potential choices
- Arrange for screener DVDs of films that are deemed interesting by the programming committee, and follow up with other details such as gathering press materials, etc. for films that are chosen for the festival
- Keeping track of the options for exhibition (formats of the films - 35mm, HDCam, DCP, etc.) to aid in scheduling
- Distribute the screeners to members of the Programming committee and keep track of the traffic of screeners that leave the office
- Meet with film programming director, festival director with updates and details
- Assist with contacting filmmakers and distributors (letters, emails, phone) to help make arrangements to schedule the films
Hours: Silk Screen Office – between 10-14 hours a week starting immediately
**The candidate will be expected to assist with all other office/ administrative tasks including: general office duties (phone/ fax/ copies), database management, flyer/ poster distribution, general marketing and publicity of the festival, and spreading Silk Screen news to all!